I remember this was a question I was asking my mom and sisters when I was new to the period world and it’s something I still wonder...can you sleep with a tampon in? Is it safe? Can I get TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome)? How long can you keep a tampon in?! We have gotten to the bottom of it to help you. Here goes...
So, the short answer is yes, you can sleep with a tampon in. But here are some tampons tips and rules that every girl should know before sleeping with a tampon in:
1. Change your tampon every 6 to 8 hours
Put a new one in right before you go to bed, and change it right when you wake up - very important!
2. Only wear a tampon when you’re menstruating
Don’t put a tampon in if you are worried you’re about to get your period. Instead, you can wear a pad or try out our ‘Oh-No’ Proof Underwear, check it out below!
3. Use the Lowest Absorbency Tampon as Possible
It probably seems best to use the highest absorbency tampon (like a super), but you’re probably not going to remember to change it. So try using a regular tampon and where our period proof underwear.
What is Toxic Shock Syndrome?
Chances are if you have started to use tampons, you probably have heard about TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome). It is a rare, but very serious staph bacterial infection. Tampons don’t actually cause the infection, but when it’s left in too long, it can create the unwanted breeding ground for bacteria that could produce the toxins.
If you want to read more about TSS, and we highly recommend you do, check out our blog post all about it. It’s important to be responsible and educated to make sure this doesn’t happen to you.
Other Period Protection Options
Don’t forget, there are always other options when exploring period protection like:
- Pads - If you’re used to tampons, pads can feel like you’re wearing a diaper, but always a good option to fall back on.
- Menstrual Cup - Just like a tampon, you insert the cup, but instead of soaking it up, the cup collects the blood and can be worn for up to 12 hours and there are no dangers to wearing one. Check out our blog about how to use a menstrual cup.
- Period proof shorts - We JUST launched our Sleepover Short, which is similar to our ‘Oh-No’ Proof Underwear, but with a longer liner, so you’ll be protected from leaks all night. You can wear these with a tampon or without (depending on your flow) as they hold up to 2 tampons worth. Check them out below!
So, moral of the story, you can wear a tampon while you sleep, but be mindful of the rules. And there are always other options, in case you aren’t comfortable.